David W.E. Roberts

Default Question about wiring lights

Note: X-posted to uk.d-i-y
"Julie" wrote in message
m...
I was finally able to get a set of 3- 2ft double bulb Flourescent
lights. On plain bulb and one warm.

They are the kind you have to wire yourself (they are meant for hard
wiring into the mains system).

The connections seem simple as do the directions. However since the
directions are for direct hard wire connection.....my hubby thinks
wiring them to connect via a plug will not be so simple. I am
enclosing a link to the directions. Once in view click on it and it
should blow up to full size if you click again (in Netscape anyway).

These were the least expensive (on sale 20% off at B&Q) and cheaper
than the ones that are already wired ( 4ft single battens with
diffusers -not useful).

I know I am not stating my case very well but I am not so wise in the
way of electricity :-/ .

Thanks
Julie
Any Question ask and I'll answer if I can.

The link is for Mains "hard wiring" How would you adapt to wiring via
a fused plug in connection instead?

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/View...231&p=67628260

Julie,

(1) Where are you planning to install these lights? From the instructions it
is obvious that they are for use inside a house - and not in a bathroom in
the house. Certainly not for inside a greenhouse which would probably blow
away both the moisture and temperature constraints.
(2) If you are installing them inside a house, why do you need a plug and
socket instead of wiring them into the main lighting circuit? So you can
only use in spring, and store for the rest of the year?

I have read your previous thread about lack of sunlight, which also implies
lack of domestic lighting.

I am guessing that you are building some form of light box for use inside
the house to bring on seedlings?

From reading the instructions posted, as long as you follow the fitting
requirements i.e to a non-flammable, non-electrically-conductive surface and
make sure that it is earthed then connecting to a plug (with a suitable
fuse) should be fine.

I am a little concerned that because (I am presuming) they will be used for
raising seedlings that they will be in a humid environment (which seedlings
normally like) which may exceed the IP20 rating.

I have cross-posted this to uk.d-i-y for the serious electricians to cross
check (please).

HTH
Dave R