Nick Brooks

Default Single Glazed, Timber Framed Windows

Peter Taylor wrote:
N. Thornton wrote

Arent I silly, Peter just said he had. Why dont more of us do it?

And to follow my previous post, I've discovered that Travis Perkins still sell
all the mouldings needed for making new softwood sash and casement windows, but
they only keep them in stock at certain branches and will order it in for you.
They also do simple softwood cill sections, but in my case I needed to match the
original 6 x 3 Oak cills, so I had to have that machined specially.

You're right, it doesn't need any special skills to make new windows but like
always, I made few mistakes before I sussed it. But it's a lot more fun than
plastering ). I started out using an old hand moulding plane but soon bought
my first router and Ovolo cutter. I also invested in a bench pillar drill with
a morticer attachment and a pair of long sash cramps. The belt sander was
pretty vital too.

Peter

I hope you're making more than one window otherwise it's going to be
very expensive:- new router, cutter, pillar drill, morticer, sash cramps

NB