lp13-30

Re GM Diesels:: I had an 82 Olds 98 Diesel. We went from San Antonio to
Michigan on slightly over 2 tanks of fuel. I finally got rid of it
because it looked so ratty, but it still ran fine. I bought it wrecked
for $500 in about 1990 or 91. Spent about $50 fixing the wreck damage. A
black junk yard fender on a brown car LOL. Kept intending to paint it
but never did. The first couple of years they had the Diesel (78 & 79)
they were converted gas blocks. They had all kinds of problems. Over the
years they improved them gradually- blocks had a higher nickel content,
stronger crankshafts, heavier main bearing webs, roller lifters, better
head bolts. They still had head gasket problems to the end. The biggest
problem IMO is that they only have 10 head bolts. Supposedly there is a
set of stainless steel studs available, and some kind of improved
gasket, that they claim will nearly eliminate problems. There are still
some die hard fans of them. I have seen several Olds and Caddys bring a
fortune on EBay. I remember going to a house with my former neighbor, an
electrician, to help him on a side job. The guy had an oil furnace-- one
of very few around here. There was a big above ground tank, I would
guess 500 gal or so. up on legs. On the outlet to the tank was a Tee, on
one side was the line going to the house, the other want to a regular
fuel hose and nozzle. Parked right next to the tank was a beautiful top
of the line Buick station wagon. One guess what engine it had. At the
time I think heating oil was about $.65/gal. I had toyed with the idea
of putting an oil furnace in my house and doing the same thing, but
figured with my luck I'd get caught. Larry