John Stumbles

No Spam wrote:
Phil Addison wrote:

Now, just how DIY do you want this? There is a copious supply of piping
hot water in your vehicle cooling system. Surely someone/somewhere has
rigged up a means of routing that through a mini heating coil which
could be dunked in a steel flask heat up or keep hot the contents? I bet
google has some designs already!

Just look up "calorifier" - boats use them all the time for hot water
supplies.

On holiday in Salcombe this summer we came across a gorgeous steam
dinghy and it's owner (er, the boat was gorgeous ... you'd have to ask
SWMBO about the owner :-). The boat itself had apaprently been built by
apprentices at the Royal Naval College at Dartmouth just up the road
(that wet wavy road that surrounds the land) in the 50s or 60s IIRC. The
steam engine had been built by the owner in his shed (xpost to
uk.rec.sheds based on the general idea of the boiler of a model
engine and the cylinder of a torpedo boat (or was it the other way
around?) and featured a dispenser of hot water, tea for the making of!

Incidentally the owner/builder told us he was a teacher in Kingsbridge
(just up the estuary). Science, I think. Nice chap.