Dave

doozer wrote:
Rob Morley wrote:

In article .com,
"Magician" says...

Jeff wrote;

mineral turps is a solvent for blutack - then you will need

something to
remove the smell of the turps

Turps or white spirit will remove blue tack or chewing gum, but you do
need to be careful about the backing material of the carpet. The
solvent may attack that, or the bonding agent.

Got an offcut to try it on?

If it seems OK after a few hours use it on the carpet, then dab with
tepid water & washing up liquid. Blot up water with kitchen roll.

Plan B. Ice in a plastic bag, get the blue tack really, really cold
and it should crumble in to powder with a little gentle scraping.

Add salt to the ice to get it even colder.

Just the comment I was going to make :-)

This "trick" works even better if the ice is crushed first. Make sure
you add loads of salt - at least a couple of heaped table spoons to a
sandwich bag of crushed ice. You can get the temperature down to -10
easily with this method. I always found it worked better if the ice was
dry when the salt as added so crush it up quickly and get the salt in fast.

Many thanks to all who have replied.
I will try what you advise and see what comes of it.
The carpet, by the way, is not in my home but at a school and yes, I do
have a load of spare to try out the replies on :-)
Fir some reason, not every post came up on my ISP.

Thanks again

Dave