Harold and Susan Vordos

"Charles A. Sherwood" wrote in message
conventional pedestal grinder for grinding toolbits. Knowing how to
properly dress the wheel becomes quite important when you grind this

way.
It must run smooth and true, for it becomes your reference point.

OK. Maybe you guys can tell me how to dress a new 10 inch grinding wheel!

I have a baldor 10 inch grinder and I installed new name brand wheels
from MSC. I have two different wheel dressors (0-10) (10+) and I still
cannot get the wheels round. I even tried using a diamond point and ruined

it.

So, How do you dress a new 10 inch grinding wheel ??

chuck

Nothing you're saying makes a lot of sense, Chuck. Can you fill us in on
what you're doing, and how? The very notion that you ruined a diamond
point tells me something is woefully wrong.

Please clarify your wheel dressers, too. I have no clue what the
designations mean. (0-10) and (10+). I can only assume you're making a
reference to the size of the dresser as it applies to the wheel size.

If you are trying to shape and true your wheels with star type dressers,
you're likely to not like what I have to say about them. Before
expounding, I'd like to comment that there is no better way to prepare a
wheel to cut than with such a dresser, but they present some serious
problems in their application. For one, they're difficult to apply such
that you can get a wheel running smoothly. A bouncing wheel is pretty much
useless for sharpening tools. There are better ways to true wheels, which
we'll discuss as quickly as I understand more about your problem.

For sharpening your tool bits it is important that you have aluminum oxide
wheels, *never* silicon carbide, be it green or black.

Tell us more about your setup and lets talk. (Sorry I didn't get back to
your email last weekend. I came down with a killer cold and spent two days
in bed. Life sucks!)

Harold