Kathy

"Jody" wrote in message
Hello there,
We have a forced hot air variable speed furnace. We just had an HVAC

company
put 3 heating vents and 2 returns in our finished basement. The basement

is
about 1000 sq.ft. We have been told that our furnace should be sufficient

heat the basement. However, we have a very cool basement. The heat ducts

are
on the exterior wall at the floor and the returns are on the same wall but
near the ceiling. We thought the returns should be on the floor since cold
air sinks. Our HVAC guys argue that the returns are on the top of the wall
to create airflow/air pressure. Are they correct? We no longer trust their
judgement since our basement is so cold, but they are willing to come back
and make adjustments. Where should the returns be? Also, would it help to
cut additional heat vents out of the main duct on the ceiling? What do you
suggest they do? Thanks so much for your time.

Have you tried to speak to the owner of the company? Maybe you didn't get to
talk to the right person and the owner doesn't even know he has an idiot
working for him. I Googled around a little and it was easy to find several
plans for ductwork and even though some of them had both floor and ceiling
supply ducts, they ALL had returns at or near the floor. Some also had
returns up high for air conditioning.