Doug

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 22:30:20 -0600, manhattan42
wrote:

Slumlord Wrote:
BOCA 1996 to be specific. Anyone here have a code book handy?
Trying to design a set of loft stairs.

In what state do you reside?
BOCA Code is largely obsolete and is no longer used and has been
replaced instead by the International Codes Council 2003 International
Residential Code.

ICC is the new codes council composed of the old BOCA, SBCCI and ICBO
code.

IRC 2003 does not permit 'open stringers' nor 'open treads' for stairs
over 30" high.

Otherwise stairs can be no less than 36" in clear width.

Humm,
Another case where the codes seem to be regulating blindly.
Why must everything be so rigidly standardized?

I've seem several open stringer and open tread staircases that were
architecturally designed and quite safe.
They often were fabricated of ornamental steel or engineered lumber.

I also installed a 28" wide tread spiral staircase in one of my
houses. It only makes a 180 degree turn so that furniture can still be
lifted up. It is supported by a 6" steel center post and has perfectly
adequate hand rails. No other solution was possible to reach a new
upper level, aside from building a side addition on the house.

Yep, it violated codes - it's my house and my choice.
If the building inspector had made a real issue over it, I wouldn't
have backed down - take me to court is my viewpoint.

It seems like too many folks have been willing to cede their rights in
exchange for "perfect" safety that can never be truly achieved.

Doug