Percival P. Cassidy

My late father farmed in England and had many tractors that were
designed to start on gasoline, then switch over to TVO (="Tractor
Vaporising Oil" = kerosene) once they warmed up. However, IMO an engine
would have to be designed to run primarily on kerosene: if its viscosity
is different from that of gasoline, the carburetor would need
different-size jets; and what about the air-fuel proportions?

(I even recall an International Harvester TD9 tracklayer that started on
gasoline, then switched over to diesel!)

Perce

On 03/08/05 09:09 am Stormin Mormon tossed the following ingredients
into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Many years ago, I was told that a small (or large?) gasoline engine will run
fine on kerosene. However, it will only run after it's warmed up, needs
gasoline to get it started and running.

The application for this is remote pump houses, and fire pumps in remote
locations. The engine has a valve system for the fuels. A couple galons of
gasoline are kept on hand, and replaced every couple months. A larger tank
of kerosene is also present.

The operation plan is that if the pump is needed, the operator comes in.
Sets the valve to "gasoline" and pours in a galon into the smaller gas tank.
Runs the engine to get it started, and warm, and then changes the valve to
kerosene. When shutting down, it is then necessary to either run the engine
dry, or change it back to gasoline.

Now, to make this personal. I have a Coleman generator at home, with a 5 HP
Briggs and Stratton engine. Supposing for the sake of discussion, we have an
extended duration power cut. Has anyone personally had experience with this?
Is this a correct description?

I've got maybe 5 galons of gasoline at home, and about 20 galons of
kerosene. It would be very nice to use a quart of gas to get my generator
warmed up, and then pour kerosene into the tank. But I'd sure feel more
reassured if someone else out there had done this, and knows that it it will
work.

Would have to run the generator dry, when shutting down. So as to allow to
restart the next time on a quart or so of gasoline.

I appreciate any ideas, advice, or thoughts.