Duane Bozarth

Harry Everhart wrote:

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
I think the VW was probably faster . That GM diesel was a god awful engine.

No wonder I bought it so cheaply. :-)
It did cruise well - it was one of the later ones. I set a personal best
time record from PA to FL in it with only one stop for fuel. Don't ask.
Harry
PS - Wife loved it but we never drove with the windows down.

Initially those had terrible failure rates...they were simply the
large-block gas engine w/ higher compression heads--head failures and
cooling problems were rampant.

They made modifications over the years and eventually they were
servicable if not great...as you note, lack of convenient auto diesel
pumps and noise/cold-starting/odor/initial cost made them a no-go w/ the
public. Of course, now, w/ diesel as high or higher than gasoline,
there's little incentive, either.