John

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Many years ago, I was told that a small (or large?) gasoline engine
will run fine on kerosene. However, it will only run after it's
warmed up, needs gasoline to get it started and running.

The application for this is remote pump houses, and fire pumps in
remote locations. The engine has a valve system for the fuels. A
couple galons of gasoline are kept on hand, and replaced every couple
months. A larger tank of kerosene is also present.

The operation plan is that if the pump is needed, the operator comes
in. Sets the valve to "gasoline" and pours in a galon into the
smaller gas tank. Runs the engine to get it started, and warm, and
then changes the valve to kerosene. When shutting down, it is then
necessary to either run the engine dry, or change it back to gasoline.

Now, to make this personal. I have a Coleman generator at home, with
a 5 HP Briggs and Stratton engine. Supposing for the sake of
discussion, we have an extended duration power cut. Has anyone
personally had experience with this? Is this a correct description?

I've got maybe 5 galons of gasoline at home, and about 20 galons of
kerosene. It would be very nice to use a quart of gas to get my
generator warmed up, and then pour kerosene into the tank. But I'd
sure feel more reassured if someone else out there had done this, and
knows that it it will work.

Would have to run the generator dry, when shutting down. So as to
allow to restart the next time on a quart or so of gasoline.

I appreciate any ideas, advice, or thoughts.

Are you sure that was a gasoline engine they were talking about.
Diesel and kerosene are very close. Gasoline is different.

At best, I would expect that it would do the engine no good, if it
worked. I am sure it would really screw up a modern automotive gasoline
engine.

It might have been a better idea to have bought a diesel engine
generator tot start with.

Yes, kerosene is basically super refined diesel fuel or heating oil. I
can't imagine a gasoline engine could even combust it being it has such a
lower flash point. I know you can easily run a diesel engine on
kerosene..Been there done that.. Had an Oldsmobile Ninety Eight diesel and
ran out of fuel backing out of the driveway. Ran to the shed, got my five
gallon can of Kerosene and poured it in. Started right up and ran fine all
the way to the fuel station. Don't think putting diesel in a gas engine
would hurt the engine, other than quickly fouling the plugs if you could
even get it to fire, but doing the opposite, putting gas in a diesel engine
can cause damage quick...
John