Bob Chilcoat

Another technique that works is to use a propane torch (unlit). Direct the
gas from the torch into the carb and pull the starter cord. The engine will
start on the propane and you can see if it will then run on the gas in the
tank by just removing the torch. I wouldn't try this on two-stroke engines
because there is no oil in the propane, but it works really well for
four-strokes.

"william_b_noble" wrote in message
news:1110264728.8479760e8d57d83c2b57e0aa3c65a5ed@t eranews...
you can also see if it will start with a squirt of ether (starting fluid)
"Roger Hull" wrote in message
s.net...
On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 20:22:06 -0800, Tim Zimmerman wrote
(in message ):

This Craftsman mower won't start after I left covered outside for a
month. I check the oil dipstick, it's full. I'd check the gas, it's

full. I
check the spark plug for sparks, it sparks. I'd remove the spark plug
and check for gas and I smell gas - plus a bit of moisture. The air

filter
has been missing for months.

Your gas is contaminated; dump it and put in fresh. If you have spark,

then,
no, you don't have another deadman switch (that works). DO NOT continue

operate without an air filter as you will suck enough dirt into the

motor
ruin it in short order if you haven't already. If it is a Briggs &

Stratton
engine check compression by spinning the engine backwards (by turning

the
flywheel by hand, NOT THE BLADE). If the flywheel comes up on

compression
going backwards and 'bounces' forward, then there is enough compression

run. If you have a Tequmseh (sp?) or Honda engine take it to the dealer.
Hope this helps.