Roger Hull

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 20:22:06 -0800, Tim Zimmerman wrote
(in message ):

This Craftsman mower won't start after I left covered outside for a
month. I check the oil dipstick, it's full. I'd check the gas, it's full. I
check the spark plug for sparks, it sparks. I'd remove the spark plug
and check for gas and I smell gas - plus a bit of moisture. The air filter
has been missing for months.

Your gas is contaminated; dump it and put in fresh. If you have spark, then,
no, you don't have another deadman switch (that works). DO NOT continue to
operate without an air filter as you will suck enough dirt into the motor
ruin it in short order if you haven't already. If it is a Briggs & Stratton
engine check compression by spinning the engine backwards (by turning the
flywheel by hand, NOT THE BLADE). If the flywheel comes up on compression
going backwards and 'bounces' forward, then there is enough compression to
run. If you have a Tequmseh (sp?) or Honda engine take it to the dealer.
Hope this helps.