Steve Manes

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 18:34:23 -0500, "nobody"
wrote:

I drill all four corners with about a 1/2 inch bit. Score a line around the
perimeter of the box with a utility knife. Then use a sawzall, with a 6"
blade, fairly coarse. The key is high speed, but low pressure on the blade.
Otherwise, the lath will be shaken loose. After opening up a hole, I can
reach in and hold the next lath. Also, cut the side closest to the stud
last, if possible. Different houses, with different plaster, will cut
differently, of course, but this method works for me.

Whatever works. My friend uses a Sawzall too but drives a few drywall
screws into the lathe an either side of the cuts. That way they
won't flap around. But it's so easy to do with a drywall saw that
it's hardly worth the effort of lugging the Sawzall up from the shop.

Steve Manes
Brooklyn, NY
http://www.magpie.com/house/bbs