Seawulf

Interestingly, when I tested the connections on the subpanel, although
all of the screws on the Neutral bus were tight, the screws on the two
hot phase wires were not tight. I got at least 1/4 turn on each. They,
along with all others have been re-tightened. But, it looks like I
really need to follow Charley's advice relative the the Al wiring being
cleaned and anti-ox paste used, etc. as well as replacing the subpanel
enclosure.

The amp meter would be used to measure actual amperage on the active
circuits to check for over-amp conditions?

BTW, I did verify the language on the Murray subpanel relative to being
rated for AL and Cu wire. The UL Panelboard Marking Guide stipulates
the phrase "Use Copper or Aluminum Wire" for this situation. The panel
actually reads "Use Cu/AL wire on pannelboard line and neutral
terminals." These two statements seem to be the same to me.

Thanks for your comments,
CDW

bumtracks wrote:
The 50A line from the main box to the workshop subpanel is Aluminum
(house is mid 70's vintage) and the Murray subpanel in the shop is
rated
for both Al and Cu wire.

you need to tighten all the alum connections , both ends the feed at main
panel and sub panel connections and would be wise to invest in a
simple clamp on amp meter..