Harvey Van Sickle

On 07 Mar 2005, Bruce wrote that Oliver wrote

Didnt think this was a problem, i had to reroute all my pipe work
along the floor and as this was the 1st time i did plumbing it
was a breeze. the result is you get far deeper cupboards with
full length draws

You had to reroute water pipes? That sounds daunting to a DIY
newbie like me.

I would have thought the "refurb" job -- replacing doors & worktop
-- to be the easiest. That's what I am thinking of doing for my
first ever kitchen units job.

I go with Oliver on this: on the face of it, you might think that a
refurb is simplest and that starting from scratch is more daunting, but
refurb almost always means discovering that the original fitter did
something non-standard, and you wind up facing a complex task to fit
the new stuff in with the old.

I've fit 4 (I think - might be 5) kitchens for us and my sister-in-law
over the past 20 years; the first time I couldn't have been any more
familiar with the job than you are at this point. (It wasn't
difficult: I'm methodical, and learned a lot by constant reference to
"how-to" books and such-like.)

Whilst all of the installations I've done were full replacements, the
two easiest jobs were undoubtedly where the whole room had been
stripped back to bare walls: minor plumbing -- extending the pipework
for the dishwasher and stuff -- and setting-out the electric points was
a *lot* easier than trying to work around existing installations.

--
Cheers,
Harvey