Don Bruder

In article t,
Roger Hull wrote:

I want to build a degreasing tank using Caustic Soda (aka Sodium Hydroxide or
Lye) as the active agent. I am already aware of the necessary safety
precautions and EPA considerations. My questions a what material for the
tank and how strong a solution? Thanks.

Roger in Vegas

NOT aluminum. Or Magnesium or Titanium. If I rememebr my high school
chemistry correctly (and I admit, it's been quite a few years...) all
three will die tragic deaths soon after contact with a strong lye
solution. As for "how strong?", well... That's almost certainly going to
depend on the "grunge" level of each piece you want to tank - Nastier
pieces will probably need a stronger solution, "light crud"/finish
cleaning probably won't need anywhere near the strength.

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html for full details.