Steve Manes

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 20:12:31 -0500, Bill Davis Jr wrote:

What is the best way to cut into the plaster and lathe to add
additional electrical boxes? I have seen were you could use a grider
and a diamond blade. I tried this and it seemed as if it was burning
the lathe.

Is the Dremmel the only way to go?

If you want plaster dust in your corn flakes downstairs.

Clark Griswold's method is the same as mine. Drill all four corners
and use a drywall saw, starting first with the horizontal cuts, then
at the side furthest from the stud. If the box is centered between
studs, saw a little one side then a little on the other side to
minimize breaking the key between the lathe and the plaster. For the
same reason, don't use a jig saw.

I've tried Dremels, I've tried Rotozips. Spiral bits don't work well
on old plaster lathe.

Steve Manes
Brooklyn, NY
http://www.magpie.com/house/bbs