Terry

"Harry Everhart" wrote in message
The city owns both the gas and water companies. They offer you a rebate
of $450 for each electric water heater you replace with a gas one. They
charge about 10.5 cents per KWH with all the taxes and fees. They charge
about 1.3 cents per cubic foot of gas with all the fees included.

Puzzling why they would favour gas over electric? Unless they are concerned
about the investment they may have to make in additional electrical
generating and or distribution infrastructure costs.
Overall is gas heating of hot water therefore cheaper?
Take into consideration that any gas appliance requires combustion air (from
the house) and ventilation/exhaust venting etc. of the combustion products
(add Carbon monoxide detectors) and increases (slightly) direct pollution
in the neighbourhood.
Also insurance considerations?
Reason to ask is that our 'all electric' homes, using hydro generated
electricity from hundreds of miles away are reasonably efficient considering
the climate. BTW we run our whole (4 bedroom) house on one 40 gallon
electric!