Joe S

Gina and Les Armstrong wrote:
I seem to have a minor insect problem. My wife and I noticed small

moths
flittering around occasionally. I caught a couple and, through some
research, discovered that they are some kind of adult rice/grain

weevil. We
only see one at a time and have not seen any swarms or larval worms.

We
have cleaned out every cabinet and drawer (even the cabinets where

there is
no food stuffs) in the kitchen and pantry, washed all the inside of

the
cabinets with a weak solution of bleach and water, and threw out

everything
that was opened or looked like it could harbor insects. When I say
everything, I mean everything. All that is left in the cabinets are

couple of unopened and sealed jars, the cabinets are pretty much

bare.

During the clean up, I found no worms, no worm skins left over after

they
emerge as moths, and only found a single dead moth in one cabinet.

But the
moths are still around. We only see one at a time. Last night I

pulled out
the range and fridge and found nothing but some dog hair. I vacuumed

and
washed the areas with bleach water just as a precaution.

I checked the dog food and cat food and found nothing. The

exterminator is
due to come out soon for his bi-monthly service and I will ask him

about it.
Do any of you home repair gurus have any advice? I have googled this

topic
and found many tips but still can not find the source of the moths.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Les

We have a more advanced case of these moths and have seen the larvae
crawling around. We have tried cleaning out the pantry, using
flypaper-like devices (which have caught dozens of these moths) but
they just don't go away.

We have found them in packages that you would normally think are
sealed. They can eat into baggies and other such things. Amazingly, we
have found them in sealed tupperware storage bins (rice, flour) that
had not been opened since filling, leading me to believe it's possible
they are coming into the house via goods from the store.

No solution here...we've tried what you've tried and they are still
around, though not in the numbers they once were. I anxiously await any
advice from someone knowledgable in this.

Joe