gary

That is what I bought in my original post and the guy at home depot told me
I could tie them together with a split pin. A big no-no. The lady at
special services said he was an electrician. Now that I know that for
certain, I am going to get some more of them to make spaces for some single
throw double poles that use up two spaces to get hot from each side of the
bar.

Our code here says each kitchen counter outlet must be split and each
adjacent plug must also be on a separate service with a maximum of 2 plugs
per 14/3 circuit run. In my reno I put 5 plugs in my upstairs kitchen and 4
in my basement kitchen. This means that I need 10 spaces of my 32 spaces
just for kitchen counters. And at inspection time code says that I must
have 2 vacant spots for future use. So I have only 20 spots left to play
with.

Thx

"Terry" wrote in message
.. .
FWIW I have a couple of Square D 'double' 15 amp breakers. These are
doubles (Not double pole).
By that I mean these are two 15 amp single pole breakers, both on the same
'leg' (or incorrectly called 'phase' side!);
BUT they fit in the same SINGLE SAME PHYSICAL SPACE as a normal 'single'
15 amp single pole breaker.

This allows the use of one of these 'doubles' to 'crowd up' say a couple
of #14AWG 15 amp lighting circuits. That saves one space which then allows
the placing of a proper double pole breaker, of the appropriate rating,
which in adjacent spaces spans both of A and B legs to give 230 volts.

I can look at the Square D type number if you wish.

Interesting (sensible) post and answers IMHO.