Jag Man

Thanks, Art. Just what I needed. In my case there seems to be plaster
covering the gap, but when scraped away I do see nails. Only problem
is the floor tile was installed after the frame, so I will have to
contend with
getting the bottom end of the sides out of the cavity formed by the
tile. With
any luck the gap on top will help in that regard.

Ed

Here is how pro carpenters did it in my house. You will need a

sawzall.
Carefull remove molding from one side. You will then see all the

nails.
Cut them with a sawsall. The frame should now be removable. When

done
replace frame and nail it and put back molding, patch holes and

paint. They
had nail guns which helped avoid cracking molding.