Seawulf

toller wrote:
"Michelle P" wrote in message
ink.net...

CW,
Back when I was small we had a similar problem with our main house panel.
My father and I smelled burning plastic when we wee in the basement. He
removed the front panel and we saw the plastic holding the 2 "phases" had
melted.
Turns out we were just running too much continuos power through the panel
and had to upgrade.
We had an electrician replace the panel and upgrade the service.

Assuming you had a main breaker, it should have tripped to prevent that.
That can't be his problem, since he has only 40a maximum out of the
subpanel.

The 50A 220 breaker for the subpanel is on the main panel. Niether it
or the individual breakers on the subpanel tripped.
Thanks,
CDW