The Real Tom

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 02:04:28 -0600, Bud wrote:

The Real Tom wrote:

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 13:34:33 -0500, "Robert11"
wrote:

Hi,

Over the years, whenever I installed and wired in a metal gang outlet or
switch box in my house, I always
just twisted the green wire grounds together, and then securely grounded
them to the metal box itself
by simply twisting around a pan-head screw (with a flat washer) thru the
metal box right into the wooden stud.

Have now seen some articles and posts where this is not the right way to
do it, but they never say why not, or what is the right code approved, way.

Would appreciate any comments and thoughts on.

Thanks,
B.

Only summerized as a responser to your post, please read the code for
more accurate information:
2002 NEC 250.148(A) "Metal Boxes" one or more equipment grounding
conductors shall be bonded to the metal box via a grounding screw, and
that screw shall be used for not other purposes.

So imho, you cannot use a screw that also works as a means of
anchoring the box to the wood stud.

hth,

tom @ www.WorkAtHomePlans.com

Also can use (NEC) "a listed grounding device" such as a ground clip.

Bud--

I've had this discussion before and still left confused, where does
the NEC say a grounding clip is a "ground screw"? Or what
article/section says that it is the same, or overrides the ground
screw requirement?

Been hearing much about inspectors failing rough-in because it
specificly says, "Ground screw"

Thank you for your insight,

tom @ www.MedicalJobList.com