Harry K

orangetrader wrote:
I have a counter top which is made of plywood with laminate on top.

I don't
really like the color, and it has a few burnt marks. We are thinking

of
getting a dish washer, which means I will need to move the

refrigerator over
24". If I do that I need to extend the existing counter top for

another
24". Since it will be very close to the sink, I would like to do

this so
the extension can be done as a seamless continuation of the existing

counter
top so if I wipe it down I can wipe it all the way to the sink.

One way I can think of is to construct a counter top at the same

height as
the current one, then apply a new layer of laminate on top of the

existing
one to form one continuous surface. Will this work? Can laminate be
applied on top of laminate? What do I need to do with my kitchen

sink which
is now sitting on top of the counter? It needs to be removed and
reinstalled?

Can I use any other materials? I don't want to use tiles, but what

about
stainless steel? Can a stainless steel sheet be applied over the

laminate
counter top to give it an industrial look?

Thanks in advance,

Why not remove the existing first?? It is an easy few minutes work
with a torch. I did my kitchen and don't think it took over 10 minutes
with a helper, me running a Bernzomatic torch fairly rapidly over the
laminate and helper lifting it up behind me. It doesn't take a lot of
heat to get the contact cement to release.

Harry K