Tom

Regardless of the approach I take, they both told me my home owner policy
(Florida) should cover it. It does not cover the actual repair, but it
should cover the "access" to the repair. So may be the $1000 of repair is
not covered, but the $2000 of tunneling will be. But I was told it
depends
on how you describe the problem to the adjuster.

I called the insurance company and the adajuster called back. I explained
the problem to them and was told nothing is covered unless there is actual
damage to the property. For example, if the pipe burst caused the carpet
be ruined, they will cover it. If it caused walls to be moist they will
cover it. I told the adjuster over the phone that I know the pipe is
seeping water and that could be flooding the slab from below and
eventually
popping my tiles out it's just a matter of time. I also told them the
sand
is being drawn in through the crack and is piling up downstream, this
could
cause an erosion of soil below my slab and my house can sink because of it
(may be a little exaggerated). They said they will send someone out to
see.
Does anyone has experience on this that can advise whether there is any
way
this can be covered? Is it really how you technically state the problem?
Any comments will be appreciated.

I have State Farm Ins. The first time a water pipe broke under the slab,
adjuster came out, didn't see any water on the top of the floor (it ran
about 30000 gal under the slab before I realized the problem) and said no
damage to contents, no claim. State Farm would not pay anything, not even
to dig down to find problem, nothing. A year later, another break and this
time water came up between the perimeter of the slab and the slab and ended
up on the kitchen floor. Now State Farm came up with the money to repair
what was damaged inside but I again paid for all repairs to the plumbing.
The house settled big time because of all of the water under the
slab...State Farm's answer was that they do not cover any settling problems
no matter what the reason, even if the cause was covered by insurance. And
especially no coverage for any mold problem. I called around to check with
other insurance companies and found only one, AMICA that would cover the
cost of digging down to find the problem. I was going to switch until they
balked because I had a "gun collection" ( a couple of old BB guns, single
shot rifle from my youth and an old bolt action shotgun). A couple of
agents said "Sure, they covered it" but when I read the policies I found
they didn't. I guess I was lucky that State Farm didn't cancel and make my
house uninsurable as I sold it a couple of years later.