Stormin Mormon

Those saddle valves often leak around the packing. Might hve to tighten the
packing nut, usually less than 1/4 turn does it.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ed" wrote in message

"Mat and Suzy" wrote in message
I need to shut off the water supply to my leaking GE profile fridge. I
figure I can buy ice at the grocery store, and we don't use the water
dispenser because there's no filter. In the basement, the small copper
pipe going to the fridge joins the main water supply with some sort of
small tap that seems to screw into the main pipe. It has a thin bar that
you can tighten/untighten. I turned it clockwise, but water started to
drip out. Counter-clockwise again, as far as it will go, but flow still
getting through. Is this type of fitting capable of being shut off? Or do
I need to pull the thing out... Is there another way of closing it down?

TIA

Mat

If the valve is leaking where it connects to the copper tubing and you don't
want to use the water anyway then the repair is easy. Turn off the water,
remove the valve, install a compression coupling.

You will need a tubing cutter so that you can cut the tubing on each side of
the hole made by the valve. Buy a cheap one. No soldering required.

Do not use power tools on a tube filled with water, power tools are not
required for this job anyway. All you need is two wrenches and a tubing
cutter.