Mat and Suzy

Default Small pipe for fridge

I need to shut off the water supply to my leaking GE profile fridge. I
figure I can buy ice at the grocery store, and we don't use the water
dispenser because there's no filter. In the basement, the small copper pipe
going to the fridge joins the main water supply with some sort of small tap
that seems to screw into the main pipe. It has a thin bar that you can
tighten/untighten. I turned it clockwise, but water started to drip out.
Counter-clockwise again, as far as it will go, but flow still getting
through. Is this type of fitting capable of being shut off? Or do I need
to pull the thing out... Is there another way of closing it down?

TIA

Mat