Backlash

Consider the possibility of having an inflatable bladder inserted into the
drain to the problem area, An inflatable drain cleaner might be able to be
modified for this. Access inside the cabinet by cutting out the cabinet
floor inside the cabinet. Then saw out an access hole 18" X24" or so in the
concrete. Dig to find the damaged spot. It probably is not very deep under
the floor. If you can't reach it to do a normal slip coupling or glue
repair, then use the bladder and have a concrete slurry poured or pumped
into the void to seat up around the pipe to create a new concrete "wall" for
the drain line. The bladder is then deflated and removed after the concrete
sets. Search on some of the companies that specialize in chimney flue
repair. The chimney guys use this method to reline old chimney flues. A
piece of 4 inch firehose can have adapter blocks used on the ends to make
inflatable bladders. They are used in some industrial conveyor systems for
lift devices.
I have on occasion used a wet vac to clean particle debri from floor
drains in factories, by fishing the hose down the drain with it running. A
smaller hose works better for this. This may could be used to help clear
sand from your drains.

RJ

"orangetrader" wrote in message
I have a single story home with a monolithic concrete slab and my sewer
line
below the slab is in need of repair due to a crack, sand piles in as
laundry
water is discharged through the line at a rapid rate and caused partial
blockage. The problem has been confirmed by a video of the line.

The drain service company recommended to trench a tunnel from the outside
get to the pipe and repair it. Their estimate is:

$200 of digging per feet + $1000 actual pipe repair

They figured they will need to dig 7 feet from ground (a few feet to clear
the footing, four more for a person to crawl through), then five feet
over,
then whatever length to expose the broken pipe section etc...could add up
18 or 20 feet. That puts the total cost at $3000.

Another utility contractor looked at it and gave another estimate. He
suggested to break a hole in my kitchen above the broken section. Open up
hole 48" x 36" through the 8" concrete slab. His charge will be $1800 to
break the slab, plus $1000 for the repair of the pipe, then he will leave.
It is then up to me to find someone to repour the slab, redo the tile (I
have no replacement tiles) and redo the kitchen cabinets (the spot is
below
the cabinet). This is more expensive.

Regardless of the approach I take, they both told me my home owner policy
(Florida) should cover it. It does not cover the actual repair, but it
should cover the "access" to the repair. So may be the $1000 of repair is
not covered, but the $2000 of tunneling will be. But I was told it
depends
on how you describe the problem to the adjuster.

I called the insurance company and the adajuster called back. I explained
the problem to them and was told nothing is covered unless there is actual
damage to the property. For example, if the pipe burst caused the carpet
be ruined, they will cover it. If it caused walls to be moist they will
cover it. I told the adjuster over the phone that I know the pipe is
seeping water and that could be flooding the slab from below and
eventually
popping my tiles out it's just a matter of time. I also told them the
sand
is being drawn in through the crack and is piling up downstream, this
could
cause an erosion of soil below my slab and my house can sink because of it
(may be a little exaggerated). They said they will send someone out to
see.
Does anyone has experience on this that can advise whether there is any
way
this can be covered? Is it really how you technically state the problem?
Any comments will be appreciated.