The Natural Philosopher

KJR wrote:

Hi Guys,

looking for some detailed advice here.

I am thinking of erecting a gazebo, one long side of which I would
like to attatch to the side of my house. The question is how ?

The beam to be attached to the house will be between 4 and 5 meters
long, 150mm high and 50mm deep.

What should I be using to secure the beam to the house and at how many
points ?

I have a cople of porches - ok smallre sacle and so on, but those merely
use expanding bolts into holes drilled in teh render coat.

Thert should not be much stress on a lean-to - you should take teh wight
oina separet vertiacl structure.

Couple of hints, that I hope thers comment on.

I'd put a DPM between timber and the wall, und do some proper lead
flashing let into the brick above, so that he wall is both kept dry, and
any damp evaopartees other than onto that beam.

You should design the gazebo so that it is essentually self supporting,
and just use those bolts to stiop it flapping in the breeze.

Feel free to be as detailed as you like