jackK

Treedweller wrote:
Hi,
I'm new to this group, but looked through over 20,000 headers and
FAQ's for info before posting this (sorry if it's an oldie that was
worn out long ago).

I'm looking to make some simple one-sided castings from tin, pewter,
zinc, or other easy metal. I've tried sand casting (distorted when I
poured in the metal) and carving a wood mold (moisture boiled out and
created air pockets).

I got recommendation to try "investment casting" with "Satin Cast" and
I've also heard of carving soapstone.

Anyone willing to save me some of my next few obvious mistakes? If I
go for soapstone, where can I get a small piece cheap? will the Satin
Cast work well (I ordered some)? Any other suggestions? I've sen
rubber mold products, but would expect it to melt when exposed to
molten metal.

Sorry to be so vague, but I'm just starting to figure this out--any
help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Keith

Here a web page with some links on making a backyard furnace and some
links to a bad casting and a good casting pour and her mistakes and the
fixes.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/v.ford/machine.htm

Jack