orangetrader

"Abe" wrote in message
I have a single story home with a monolithic concrete slab and my sewer

line
below the slab is in need of repair due to a crack, sand piles in as

laundry
water is discharged through the line at a rapid rate and caused partial
blockage. The problem has been confirmed by a video of the line.

I called the insurance company and the adjuster called back. I explained
the problem to them and was told nothing is covered unless there is

actual
damage to the property. For example, if the pipe burst caused the carpet

be ruined, they will cover it. If it caused walls to be moist they will
cover it. I told the adjuster over the phone that I know the pipe is
seeping water and that could be flooding the slab from below and

eventually
popping my tiles out it's just a matter of time. I also told them the

sand
is being drawn in through the crack and is piling up downstream, this

could
cause an erosion of soil below my slab and my house can sink because of

it
(may be a little exaggerated). They said they will send someone out to

see.
Does anyone has experience on this that can advise whether there is any

way
this can be covered? Is it really how you technically state the problem?
Any comments will be appreciated.

-------------
Your adjuster is correct. In standard policies, nothing is covered
unless actual damage occurs. If damage is imminent, as you claimed,
then the adjuster is doing the right thing by sending out someone to
see. If the inspector determines there is damage imminent, and it's
cheaper for the insurance company to pay for the repair now, rather
than wait for a larger claim later, you'll probably be covered for the
repair. Not all insurance companies will operate in that logical a
manner though, so YMMV.

Thanks very much for the comment. Is there anything I should say or not say
when the adjuster comes? I think there could be serious blockage could
cause back up of bathrooms and toilets and could be a real issue, the
depositing of sand in the pipe could also draw more and more sand into the
pipe, causing a void space below the slab. Being in Miami and 1 mile from
beach it is all sandy soil and we could have a settling problem. None of
this can be "seen" today, but could be a problem tomorrow, next month, or
three years from now.

By the way, this is not a crack. The video revealed the two ends of the
pipe "snapped" open sort of. The plumber told me it looks like original
construction was bad, glue was not properly applied or may be never applied,
so it snapped open and could have been this way since day 1, and day 1 was
1980. I wonder if the previous owner knew, if he did it was not in the
disclosure.