John B

"Gideon" wrote

Personally, I think that GFCIs are so inexpensive now that it makes
sense to have them at every outlet.

Not at the refrigerator outlet! You don't want nuisance outages there. My
1990 code addresses this.
I wouldn't have GFCI anywhere except where code instucts it to be present.
The authors of the code are well-qualified to direct this, and have decades
of experience by now, on this subject. They've heard it all.

Once again, if you can live with unsolicited advise, I'd say don't worry
about the electrical zoning history for your house and focus on your
specific concerns about your GFCI outlets.

Sounds to me like OP is building a case for negligence, against prior owner
and his contractors. That's one way to get a house re-wired, without
picking up any tools, except a pen and paper.