Peter Hyde

In article ,
Will wrote:

Peter:

Thanks for the feedback. I was hoping someone could give some.

Client list is always easier... Selling to people you know and have sold
to is always cheaper.

I was looking at it mostly for the "flat" side of things - jewel boxes
and such like.

e.g. those posted on...
http://woodwork.pmccl.com

I think competition is fierce everywhere. :-)

Will I certainly agree.
I went into a local craft Guild store this weekend and saw a beautiful
ash bowl about 14"x6" with a textures rim for $145. The Guild normally
takes about 40% so that would leave about $90 for the turner. This is a
well known local turner and he is very prolific but it would probably
mean less than minimum wage for me to even get close to this price.
Overheads such as wood, finish, sand paper, heat and light, and delivery
all have to be included and it doesn't leave much for the worker!
No I won't be giving up my day job :-)

--
meet me at:
http://peterhyde.bravehost.com/