Treedweller

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 19:49:04 -0500, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:
If the pieces are small and you want to try something really retro you
can make mold cavities in cuttlefish bone after sanding the flat side of
the pieces of bone smooth. You can carve the mold cavity or if you have
a pattern piece just squeeze or pound it into the bone.

Here's a link:

http://artisans.ombra.net/tecniche/CUTTLEBONE.htm

I had an old timer jeweler show this to me when I was a kid. He
demonstrated the technique by casting a pair of silver ear rings.

It might just satisfy your needs, and the cuttlefish bone IS still
available:

http://alpha-supply.com/catalog/page...=cat&catid=248

Or, try your local pet shop. IIRC parrots and similar birds like to chew
on it.

HTH,

Jeff

Hmm, that's definitely low tech! Thanks for the idea--I'll check the
pet shop, but I think I need bigger pieces than I've seen in this
material. I'm thinking of medallions about 2" to 2-1/2 inches in
diameter.