pyotr filipivich

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show Don Bruder
wrote back on Sun, 06 Mar 2005 16:39:13 GMT in
rec.crafts.metalworking :
In article ,
pyotr filipivich wrote:

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show Don Bruder
wrote back on Sat, 05 Mar 2005 03:13:05 GMT in
rec.crafts.metalworking :
In article ,
pyotr filipivich wrote:
You're in America now. Be an American. I don't give a damn about your
"cultural heritage". I care even less about "diversity". You're an
American now. Be one, or get the **** out! Learn the language we use
here (Most call it english, although I'd say that's only just barely
true anymore, what with the rise of "ebonics") and use it - both spoken
and written. Learn new "traditions" - the traditions of the country that
is now your home. If you want "the old country" and "the old
traditions", then go back to wherever "the old country" happens to be,
and we can all be happy. Otherwise, don't be at all surprised when
somebody gets ****ed off enough at you and your brand of whatever-it-is
to take action, perhaps violent, perhaps legal, perhaps a combination of
both, to make you stop inflicting your so-called "culture" on them..

Hmmm, so then it is perfectly acceptable to denounce as "insensitive"
someone who says that women can have it all, career, home life and
children?

Idunno what you're trying to say with that sentence. It doesn't parse to
anything sensible for me. In fact, it SEEMS, at least to my reading, to
completely contradict itself. Care to try again?

Again, from the "best of the Web" for March 3, 2005
=====
Pink vs. Green
You may remember her from such movies as "A Low Down Dirty Shame" and
"Woo." Call Jada Pinkett Smith's latest production "Heteronormative Hell."
The Harvard Crimson reports the actress appeared on campus recently as part
of the 20th annual Cultural Rhythms show, and what she had to say was quite
inflammatory:

"Women, you can have it all--a loving man, devoted husband, loving
children, a fabulous career," she said. "They say you gotta choose. Nah,
nah, nah. We are a new generation of women. We got to set a new standard of
rules around here. You can do whatever it is you want. All you have to do
is want it."

"To my men, open your mind, open your eyes to new ideas. Be open," she
added.

This didn't quite provoke fainting spells, like Larry Summers's recent
remarks, but the Crimson reports that "some students were offended" and
that "the Bisexual, Gay, Lesbian, Transgender, and Supporters Alliance
(BGLTSA) and the Harvard Foundation for Intercultural and Race Relations
have begun working together to increase sensitivity toward issues of
sexuality at Harvard."

In case you're one of those backward types who don't understand why what
Smith said is so horrible, the Crimson spells it out:

BGLTSA Co-Chair Jordan B. Woods '06 said that, while many BGLTSA members
thought Pinkett Smith's speech was "motivational," some were insulted
because they thought she narrowly defined the roles of men and women in
relationships.

"Some of the content was extremely heteronormative, and made BGLTSA members
feel uncomfortable," he said.

Calling the comments heteronormative, according to Woods, means they
implied that standard sexual relationships are only between males and
females.

"Our position is that the comments weren't homophobic, but the content was
specific to male-female relationships," Woods said.

Now first of all, maybe the BGLTSA guys (and gals, etc.) would feel more
comfortable if they had a nice big soft chair instead of one made of
"Woods."

=====

So again, I'll ask, what is so horrible about promoting the option of a
man and a woman getting married and having children in a manner considered
traditional in the rest of the world?

And why is there so little tolerance for those who feel a moral scruple
against deviating from such a tradition?

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
The two oldest cliches in the book are "The Good Old Days were