Gideon

There is a local governmental agency which is responsible for code
enforcement where you live. For me, that is my city's engineering
department. They will have one or more people who can answer your
questions. I'm certain that you will expedite the process by telling
them what you are attempting to accomplish. If you start off by
explaining what your concerns are about the GFCI outlets in your
home, then the zoning folks may be able to help your more quickly.

By the way, keep in mind that learning the history of zoning regulations
and the history of the NEC are not going give you a 100% accurate
guide to how your house was/is wired. Builders miswire homes and
subsequent homeowners wire/rewire homes incorrectly.

When your home was built, the NEC required GFCI outlets on outdoor
applications, swimming pools, spas, hottubs, bathrooms and garages.
A few years later kitchens and (unfinished) basements were added to the
list. Personally, I think that GFCIs are so inexpensive now that it makes
sense to have them at every outlet.

Once again, if you can live with unsolicited advise, I'd say don't worry
about the electrical zoning history for your house and focus on your
specific concerns about your GFCI outlets. The zoning folks can advise
you on what is required and what is recommended now. An electrician
or a handy homeowner can check to insure that existing GFCI outlets
are acceptable and he can perform any upgrades that may be necessary.

In my opinion, the only difficult part is determining whether any of your
GFCIs are protecting outlets downstream. This is very important information
to have in order to protect your sanity when a GFCI trips mysteriously.

Good luck,
Gideon