orangetrader

Default Can laminate counter top be covered up?

I have a counter top which is made of plywood with laminate on top. I don't
really like the color, and it has a few burnt marks. We are thinking of
getting a dish washer, which means I will need to move the refrigerator over
24". If I do that I need to extend the existing counter top for another
24". Since it will be very close to the sink, I would like to do this so
the extension can be done as a seamless continuation of the existing counter
top so if I wipe it down I can wipe it all the way to the sink.

One way I can think of is to construct a counter top at the same height as
the current one, then apply a new layer of laminate on top of the existing
one to form one continuous surface. Will this work? Can laminate be
applied on top of laminate? What do I need to do with my kitchen sink which
is now sitting on top of the counter? It needs to be removed and
reinstalled?

Can I use any other materials? I don't want to use tiles, but what about
stainless steel? Can a stainless steel sheet be applied over the laminate
counter top to give it an industrial look?

Thanks in advance,