meirman

Travis posted

If your 220v outlet is an older style and only has two hot wires and a
ground (usually red, black, and bare/green) you can't create a 110v
circuit from it. If your outlet has 2 hot wires (usually red, black), a
neutral (white), and a ground (bare/green), you can get 110v from either
of the hot wires (black or red) to neutral (white). I'd suggest
mounting a new outlet box adjacent to the current box with a 110v duplex
outlet, wired as above. BE SURE TO LOCATE AND TURN OFF THE RIGHT CIRCUIT
BREAKER BEFORE YOU START.

If you don't completely understand this advice and the risks associated
with working on house circuits, don't attempt it.

In alt.home.repair on 28 Feb 2005 09:04:39 -0800
posted:

above over my head, am looking for something I can plug into 220...
with a couple of holes on the other side where I can plug in the 110v.

That's basically what Travis is recommending. If you have 4 slots,
and not 3, in the dryer outlet.

If that does not exist I am not going to try to jimmy anything up, I
am not qualified to mess with any wires.

I bet you could do this, or get someone to do it for you. There are
only four wires and they are already connected at the plug end.

You can get what they called a pigtail, a replacement cord with the
standard dryer plug on the end, for a dryer, at a hardware store.

Also get a surface mount 110 volt receptacle (also called an outlet).
Surface mount means that it screws to the outside of the wall, doesn't
have to be mounted inside the wall to look right. These boxes have
a lot more space in them than most "receptacle-ends" of extension
cordds, and pros don't seem to like cords that aren't firmly fixed to
a wall. This *is* the only place in the house you'll be able to use
this cord, so there is little reason not to screw it to the wall,
right?

You connect the black or the red wire -- it doesn't matter which -- of
the cord to the gold contact of the receptacle. You cut off the other
wire, the red or the black, or you cover the end with a wire nut or
tape*** so that the wire inside doesn't touch anything. You connect
the white wire to the silver screw of the receptacle, and you connect
the bare wire to a green screw on the receptacle, or whatever is
labelled the ground screw.

All of this can be assembled *before* you plug it in to the dryer
outlet.

The only way you can come up with more than 110 volts would be if you
used both the red and the black wires of the cord, and you won't do
that, will you?

***Others here can tell you what is best.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.