Andy Hall

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 18:50:35 +0000, John Stumbles
wrote:

Really? B&D must have improved a _lot_ since I last used any (although
AIUI they used to source their stuff from all over, all different
quality, so there was no canonical B&D). Certainly the 14.4 cordless and
18V jigsaw (DW933) I have are vastly better than the Ryobi-sourced
(AIUI) PPPro ones I was using before (which I think were Ryobi's
equivalent of Bosch green stuff).

Mmmmm.....

Generally I've felt that the Bosch green range has been better on
average than B&D - some products of which are pretty poor like the
planers, jigsaws, sanders and cordless multiple tools.

It's worth checking the origin of Bosch green stuff. For example, I
have a few items originating from Scintilla such as a sabre saw, which
are excellent.

I've had good and conistent results from Bosch blue products such as
the blue jig saws.

DeWalt seems to have more variation depending on tool type and source.
For example, the routers, originating from Elu like the DW625 are best
of breed with the possible exception of Festo. I posted a
disappointment about the biscuit jointer. I have a laminate trimmer
bought in the U.S. which is good, as is a cordless screwdriver. A
mitre saw stand is good, but a mitre saw is pipped at the post by
Makita. I have a contractor portable table saw which is solid and
does the job and is better than others in its class.

So I'd say with DW that careful research is a good idea. They have
some really good stuff, some mediochre and some complete garbage.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl