BillR

Default Rewiring of 1 bed flat

Jeremy Collins wrote:
Fishter wrote:

Hi Doctor D.
In you wrote:

Does anyone know how old my wiring is likely to be? What is the
legal position on earth wires in lighting circuits?

I suspect your wiring dates from the early 1960's. AFAIK rubber
insulation was coming to an end in the 60's.
No earth on the lighting circuits was normal for this period. It is
now mandatory.
It needs replacing urgently I suspect.

I was afraid of that. Any ideas on the cost to rewire 5 light
fittings, 7 double sockets, a cooker and a 3kW shower?

Another problem is access. I expect that to do the ceiling lights I
would need to gain access underneath my upstairs neighbours floor.
That isn't likely to come easily.... :-(

Sounds like the freeholder's responsibility to me. The funding would
probably come from whatever maintenance fund you and the other flats
pay into.

Surely the re-wiring for a particular flat should be paid for by that
resident?
Suppose the boiler needed replacing? the sinking fund wouldn't pay for that.
Many of these conversions have no sinking fund anyway.
Regarding access, there probably is a clause in the lease allowing you
access for such services.