Al Bundy

Thank you for the comments, it has also occurred to me that some of

the
code violations might even be of interest when getting a mortgage.

The
mortgage co. asked for a copy of the inspection and I would expect

them
to at last look for serious structural defects that would affect
their/my investment. I will follow where the path of the code
violations takes me.

You either want this house or your don't. If you don't, that one big
item is enough of a defect to back out in my opinion. Let them spend
money to fight it if they wish. One problem is that that cement crack
and gap is "open and notorious" and you were able to see it on a visual
inspection of your own. That's an arguing point in their favor.
Nevertheless, I'd back out if I wanted to and get an attorney if I
needed to.
Next time make sure your contract includes an inspection that is a
total weasel clause permitting you to back out if the inspection does
not meet with your approval.