Matt

John A. Weeks III wrote:
In article ,
Matt wrote:

Our county recently went to 100% for tax assessment, as opposed to
whatever they were previously assessing at. We just recently purchased
a house for about $3,000 under what the county has us assessed at.
Should I dispute this? Is there anything that could go wrong or bad
because I've asked to have my recorded value of my house at the county
dropped? Besides paying less taxes... if I would ever go to sell the
house, would I possibly not get the additional funds?

Tax assessment is only an estimate. So is your likely selling
price. In contrast, market value is a specific number that
is determined when a willing seller and a able buyer agree on
a sale price. As a result, the two are not directly connected.

There is no problem in contesting your assessment. It will
not impact your future sales. After all, the way values
are going up, if the tax assessment is done in January,
the market value will be different by the time a potential
sale happens in August.

-john-

Yeah values going up on houses is always a good thing.. we purchased an
older house in town and are fixing it up.. putting new kitchen floor in
(wood)... insulating (can you believe the previous owner had little to
no insulation in the house?)... and putting in replacement windows...