Mark Carver

Zikki Malambo wrote:
In the op's position, I would replace the CU with a larger split load
model and add some extra circuits. If it's easy to do so, I would
find out what was and wasn't "ring" on the downstairs 32A breaker, and
if it looks like a radial circuit has been added to it, move this onto
it's own 20A breaker.

Alternatively, depending how much load the OP expects to place on the
conservatory circuit, he could use the esisting breaker marked
Immersion heater to feed it as a radial rather than a ring, and
either;

1. Forget about immersion heating.

In reality the actual immersion heater is not connected to anything !
The previous owners 'stole' its feed, and connected that to a shower
pump, (100 watts)

2. (Getting non complient here) put the immersion heater on an fcu on
the upstairs ring (assuming the cylinder is upstairs).

Yes, as you say not allowed. Such devices cannot be fed as spurs off of
ring circuits AIUI ?

What I could do is move the pump to a ring main spur, and stick a 13A
flying lead and plug on the immersion heater (not allowed according to
regs), or as you say totally forget the immersion heater. Then I just
replace the existing 16A breaker with a 32A and feed the conservatory as
a ring circuit off this.

3. (getting even further away from compliance perhaps) leave it on the
same breaker as the new radial. As long as he doesn't put a 3KW
heater on the radial at the same time as the immersion is on, it
shouldn't matter.

A 3kW load in the conservatory is very likely :-(

--
Mark
Please replace invalid and invalid with gmx and net to reply