Jim Alexander

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message

"Jim Alexander" wrote in message

"Jeff" wrote in message

I don't have another mains drill, but why on earth would you want
normal
hammer when you have sds ?

Agree that SDS is superior system to hammer but to answer your question
as

found out when my Makita SDS drill packed up, a cheapo 700W hammer drill
handles up to 8mm holes in masonry, thats most of my requirements,
adequately well at considerably less cost and less than half the weight
of

SDS drill. Up a ladder that may equate to more safely and some cheap SDS
drills weigh considerably more to the point of being unmanageable.

Even with 8mm and a new masonry bit, with some bricks it can be hard
going.
An SDS just sails through.

BTW, did you get the Makita fixed? If so how much did it cost?

No, its BER thanks partly to the new cost of the similar model being about
half what I paid, at the stroke of a pen neatly invalidating any costing
calculations made at purchase. When I have a new project which requires SDS
will possibly get the Wickes/Kress with the underslung motor as the balance
is superb. And when its "clapped out" Kress will take it back to avoid
upsetting those with environmental sensitivites.

Jim A