Bob Shuman

Each cell phone has a unique Electronic Serial Number (ESN) that is
checked/validated whenever a call is made. If the service provider has
indeed disabled your old phone, then the only calls allowed by it will be to
emergency services or the service provider (assuming these features are
enabled as they usually are in most applications).

In the event that the phone is found and returned, you would then be able to
have it re-enabled or have it programmed for a new service number.

Bob

"RB" wrote in message
Got a cell phone service/security question.

I lost my cell phone Sat. Sun, I suspended the service and reported the
loss. The cs rep I talked to said no activity had taken place through my
number during the window from when I lost the phone 'til when I reported

it.

If someone comes into posession of my old phone, could he/she also use my
account when I'm also using it with my new phone?

I don't get a warm fuzzy feeling about the capability of my cell service

prevent someone out in the wild who recovers my lost phone from using it,
too, once I activate the same phone #.