Mike in Idaho

10x wrote:
[snip]

Once you find that "sweet spot" on a particular dovetail bit /

dovetail
jig combination, take a scrap piece of hardwood about 2" x 12" and

run
it through a surface planer until the thickness precisely matches how
far the bit protrudes from the base of the router.

Don't forget that the router depth being "reusable" is dependent on the
stock being the same thickness as well (e.g. if you thicknessed it to
..780 when you set it up the first time, going to .750 will result in a
different setup requirement).

I guess that's why most people go to .750 all the time, but sometimes
I'm too lazy and can't be bothered to run it through my planer any more
(once it's flat and close enough). I just make sure that all the stock
is the same thickness and then do the router setup. Probably a pain,
but I suppose I save on the life of my equipment that way???

Mike