Greg

"Eric Tonks" etonks@sunstormADD-DOT-COM wrote in message
If you "force" the seller to do it, they will do as little as possible as
cheaply as possible, you may not be happy with the results, but they will
have lived up to their obligation.

That is very good advice. I had a similar situation with a house that I
bought some time ago. The seller considered himself to be a competent
electrician / carpenter / painter, but I spent most of my remodeling effort
fixing his 'improvements'. Definitely get the price of the house lowered
and do the renovations yourself (or have them done by professionals). If I
hadn't done so, his repairs would have increased even further the number of
things I had to fix.

The earlier advice that YOU will have to fix anything that you allow the
current seller to wiggle out of is another good piece of advice. Many
buyers kindly allow the sellers to ignore some important item, thinking that
it isn't important to them, but when they try to sell the house themselves,
they end up paying for the same repairs. Somehow, the next buyer's home
inspector is always more thorough than your own home inspector was.

Take heed to the advice. It is wisdom that they probably paid a price to
gain.

Greg