Nick Brooks

Default Single Glazed, Timber Framed Windows

N. Thornton wrote:
"Neil Jones" wrote in message ...

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message

Presumably anything is an improvement over uPVC. Except that listing

might

be for the as-is condition. I wouldn't be surprised if they made you
manufacture the exact pattern of 1970's uPVC it has now when you come

replace, even if it was a seventeenth century cottage...

Is it ok to replace say Vic sash windows with other original Vic sash
windows then? They would be single glaed of course, and come
undraughtproofed, though draughtproofing isnt too hard on those.

Regards, NT

The answer is it depends.

If you're listed then yes.

If the original windows are still in situ then you can have them
"restored" even if this means replacing all of the original material.

If the windows have been replaced with modern ones you can't go back
UNLESS you find the origial ones at the end of the garden in which case
you can put those back in and restore them.

Original or restored windows can be single glazed but new ones must be
double glazed and with low e glass.

Thus spoke my BCO

Nick
PS Amazingly my carpenter 'found' my old windows at the back of his
workshop and was able to restore them to good as new condition!!