GerryG

Or,...buy/setup a router in the table such that you can precisely set it to
any given height. Consider, once the Incra is zero'ed, you can always return
the fence to any given distance. If you're going for the Incra's advantage,
why not go for the same with the router? My box of dovetail bits has a height
by each bit. I zero the router, then just dial in the height.

Alternatively, I'd use a height guide (as in the board he mentions below) and
raise the bit until a flat piece of wood swept across the top just scrapes the
bit without catching. I suggest this is more precise than trying to visually
match a profile.
GerryG

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 15:08:46 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"10x" wrote in message

Once you find that "sweet spot" on a particular dovetail bit / dovetail
jig combination, take a scrap piece of hardwood about 2" x 12" and run
it through a surface planer until the thickness precisely matches how
far the bit protrudes from the base of the router. I then drilled a
hole to hang it, put a coat of finish on it, and labeled it with a
marker so I wouldn't throw it out some day when I had a brain fart.

Alternatively, route a hard wood board with the bit profile in it at the
correct depth.